Constipation is nothing uncommon and most of us have at some stage experienced this digestive disruption. It is very common among people who do not get enough fibre in their diets, who don’t drink enough water or who don’t do enough exercise. And if bowel movements become irregular and start to cause discomfort, it’s time to act.
Of course, it helps to drink enough water and to get regular exercise, in order to stimulate the intestines and strengthen the abdomen, to promote digestion. A diet that is rich in fibre will also support digestion and promote abdominal contractions. But you can also make this delicious home made jam, that is full of natural laxative effects.
It contains three simple ingredients:
- Water: Consuming water is vital to resolving constipation.
- Prunes: Prunes are rich in fibre and in dihydrophenylisatin, a compound which stimulates contractions in the digestive organs. Their sorbitol relieves the symptoms of constipation and can rapidly stimulate bowel movements.
- Dates: Dates are a natural laxative, and are rich in soluble and insoluble fibre. They regulate digestive transit and help prevent constipation.
- 150 g pitted prunes
- 150 g pitted dates
- 1.25 litres of hot water (5 cups)
1) Chop the dates and prunes into small pieces.
2) Add the pieces to a pot and pour in the hot water.
3) Cook the mixture on a gentle heat until it is smooth. Put it into a jam jar and store it in the fridge.
How to take it?
Take a dessertspoon of the jam after your breakfast, and another after lunch. Don’t hesitate to mix it with cereals, juice, a smoothie, a yoghurt or on toast. It is equally good on its own.
Taking it for around ten days should be enough for you to say goodbye to constipation.
If you don’t feel like cooking, soak 3 or 4 prunes in a glass of water overnight and consume it the next morning.