Your dog is scratching madly, and you suddenly become aware that he is plagued by fleas! A flea infestation is always a pain for us, and of course for him, and this is why prevention is so important. But instead of suggesting a simple flea collar, the idea here is to make a cute doggie bandana infused with essential oils. (How can you not melt for a dog in a bandana?!) So let’s be clear: if your pet already has fleas, this collar will not treat the problem. The goal here is to offer you some less chemical (and cuter) alternatives to the usual flea collars you can buy in the pet store.
Note that it is not recommended to use this method on a cat, as essential oils are toxic for cats. Furthermore, we do not recommend applying the mixture directly to your dog.
What you need:
- A nice bandana
- 60 mls water
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 2 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- 1 drop of tea tree essential oil
1) Mix the water and the essential oils well in a container.
2) Soak the bandana in the mixture for a few moments, making sure it is well submerged in the liquid.
3) Wring out the bandana so that it is good and damp, but not dripping. Hang it out and leave it to dry.
4) Before going for a walk, put the bandana on your dog.
If the scent starts to fade, repeat the same steps to soak the bandana in the odour again.