Lemons have come up time and again in our articles which is unsurprising considering their astonishing properties and benefits. But have you heard of lemon essential oil and its different uses? This effective concentrated oil is worth its weight in gold. It has so many uses around the house from cleaning to being part of your daily beauty or health routine. This essential oil is full of talents and here are some of its best uses that you won’t be able to live without!
Some precautions before using:
- Before anything, test a little drop of the oil on the fold of your elbow to make sure you are not allergic.
- Just like cinnamon essential oil, lemon oil can irritate the skin. You should use sparingly on the skin and consider diluting it (20% lemon oil and 80% vegetable oil for example)
- It doesn’t go well with the sun. If you have applied the oil on your skin, avoid exposing your skin to the sun a few hours after.
- There is no contraindication for pregnant or breastfeeding women or children from 12 months
1) Make your own lemon scented washing powder
Mix together a generous handful of bicarbonate soda, 150g of Marseille soap shavings and a dozen drops of lemon essential oil in a basin of 3 litres of water.
You shouldn’t add extra drops thinking your washing liquid will smell better. The smell will be concentrated enough with a few drops and the oil could irritate your skin if you add too much.
2) A multipurpose disinfectant and antiseptic cleaning product for your home
Lemon essential oil and housework are a great combination for your floors, in your kitchen, in your toilets or your bathroom. To see what this essential oil can do, mix two doses of water and one of white vinegar then finish by adding 15 to 20 drops of lemon essential oil.
3) To keep your leather in good condition
We have already discussed this is an earlier article. This essential oil is excellent for maintaining leather, improving its longevity and fighting against cracking in the material. You can see miracles effects on your leather sofa with just one wipe a cloth soaked with a few drops of the oil or a mix of oil and vinegar! (For more information in the recipe read this article.)
4) Home diffuser
A diffuser is great for fighting against bad odors like tobacco and fried food as well as germs. You can use lemon oil with a mixture of essential oils ( eucalyptus radiata, grapefruit, scots pine, tea tree) or on its own to purify the inside of your home. If you have the flu mix 10 drops of lemon, 10 drops of ravintsara and 10 drops of eucalyptus to have the best effects.
5) Combat nausea for pregnant women
You can use this oil in a couple of different ways to combat nausea especially during the first trimester.
- Orally: You only need one drop of lemon essential oil on a neutral pill or a soup spoon of honey that you can melt on your mouth three times per day.
- Massaging: Mix 40 drops of lemon essential oil, 40 drops of bigarade petitgrain essential oil and 40 drops of Roman chamomile essential oil in 4 ml of vegetable oil. Massage two drops on your solar plexus (near your abdomen) and put a drop on your wrist, rub the other wrist and breath. Repeat 4 times a day maximum.
6) Travel sickness
Diffuse the essential oil in your car or put 1 drop of the oil on a neutral tablet and take it three times per day.
7) Promoting lipid degradation and better digestion
As well as helping your digestion, this essential oil is known for having an effect on degrading lipids. It is good to use this oil if you are looking to lose weight, combat cellulite or for relieving your liver, intestine or pancreas. To use the oil for this purpose, add a only one drop to a teaspoon of honey and take after eating.
8) Fighting against heavy legs
Mix vegetable oil with your lemon essential oil and massage your painful legs. This mixture is excellent for your circulation and fighting against fragile blood vessels. You can also use this oil if you suffer from hemorrhoids, vein insufficiency or phlebitis.
9) Treating cellulite
Massage your cellulite with a mixture of 50 drops of lemon essential oil, 30 drops of grapefruit oil, 30 drops of rosemary oil, 20 drops of cypress oil and 100 ml of hazelnut oil.
10) Stronger nails
In a bowl, pour 10 ml of olive oil and add 20 drops of lemon essential oil. Leave your nails in the mixture for 10 minutes.