When you come down with a sore throat due to all the microbes floating around you often head for some classic remedies like soothing tablets, cough syrups or other forms of medication. Instead of preparing our own remedies we often head straight to the chemists to get one of these classic off the counter remedies. However these medicines can be expensive! In fact natural remedies that you make at home can be just as effective and won’t cost you much to make. In this article we’ll look at how to make a simple honey compress to calm a sore throat. You’ll no doubt already have the majority of ingredients needed so there is no need to go to the shops. Let’s get started!
What you need:
- Flour: 1 teaspoon
- Organic honey: 1 teaspoon
- Coconut oil :1 teaspoon (olive oil if you don’t have coconut oil)
- 1 tissue or compress
- Bandage wrap
1) Pour the flour and honey into a bowl.
2) Add your liquid coconut oil to the mixture
3) Mix everything together so that it is well incorporated.
4) Apply your preparation onto the item you will use for your compress.
5) Place sticky bandage or medical tape onto the four corners of the compress.
6) Apply the compress onto your chest.
7) For children, remember to remove the compress after about 2 to 3 hours. For adults the compress can be left on your chest over night so it is even more effective. You ca repeat this process several ties in the week until your symptoms have disappeared.
Alternative method to calm a sore throat:
Mustard Poultice (For adults suffering from bronchitis)
Grind the grains of mustard so that you can make a mustard powder (or you can buy mustard flour) and then mix it together with a little water to obtain a paste. Apply this mixture onto a compress and then place it onto your chest as you would for the honey compress. Only leave for around 15 minute. Be careful as this compress can irritate young children or teenagers.