Jelly soaps are great if you fancy a change from a boring bar of soap or a bottle of shower gel. Although they can be found in some shops they are often limited with the number of scents on offer. It is much more interesting to make them yourself. You can choose your preferred scent with your choice of essential oils, create fun shapes and add interesting colours. What’s more it is an fun activity for children and can even motivate your kids if they normally sulk at the mention having a wash. They are also fantastic presents for those friends who enjoy spending some chill time in the bathroom and taking care of their skin. Here’s how to get started!
What you need :
- 230 ml of boiling water
- 120 ml of shower gel or liquid body soa
- 2 packets of gelatin (7 g each)
- 5 g of salt
- Essential oil (you choice but don’t use one that will irritate the skin)
- Silicone molds of your choice
- Optional : Jojoba oil (pour sensitive skin), food colouring (to give colour to your gel soaps), Rubbing alcohol spray (To get rid of the bubbles)
The steps :
1) Pour the boiling water into a large wide-brimmed bowl add the salt and mix together. Add the gelatin and stir again.
2) Continue by adding the shower gel, a few drops of jojoba oil and a few drops of essential oil. Stir together carefully.
3) Now you can add colour. You can separate the mixture into several bowls to make soaps of different colours.
4) Pour your mixture into the molds
5) Sometimes there can be a lot of bubbles that appear on the bottom of the soap. Although this makes no difference to the soap, if you want your jelly soaps to look prettier you can spray on some rubbing alcohol until the bubbles have disappeared. Put the molds into the fridge to solidify. Be patient as this may take several hours. Once set you can turn out the jelly soaps from their molds!