Do you have persistent acid reflux which is affecting your life? This can happen to anyone. The main factor is diet. There are many types of food to avoid which could be causing the problem. We propose a list of foods to avoid, remedies to prevent gastric acid from recurring and a plan to say goodbye to it for good in just 15 days!
1. Foods to avoid
There are many foods to avoid, and while you don’t need to eliminate them completely from your diet (because some of them provide for your nutritional needs), you should limit and avoid them when possible:
- Sugar (and sugary foods in general)
- Refined flours (that is flours that have had their fibres removed)
- Refined salt or table salt
- Milk and dairy products
- Red meat and cured/processed meats
- Fried foods
- Alcoholic beverages
- Fizzy drinks and cola
- Packaged juices
- Coffee and hot chocolate
There are also many other factors to be taken into consideration with gastric acid. These factors can aggravate the problem and you should eliminate the following in as much as possible, as soon as possible:
- Not drinking enough water
- Eating too fast without chewing
- Eating in very large quantities
- Eating before having digested the previous meal
- Mixing multiple different foods
You needn’t worry, like every health problem, there are remedies -and many of them! The goal is to reduce the pH levels in the stomach, by reducing acidity.
1. Lemon. It is a powerful gastric antacid, and despite its acidity, it prevents gastric acid from forming.
2. White clay. It is found in health shops and is a great natural remedy.
3. Raw potato juice with olive oil. This is an old wives remedy and combats stomach acid. It could even treat gastric ulcers.
4. Green vegetables
6. Raw almonds. They are one of the least acidic fruits for the body.
8. Green tea. This drink is anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, antioxidant and can help prevent gastric acid. Plenty reason to drink it, huh?
9. Sea salt or Himalayan rock salt. This are the purest unrefined salts, which can help prevent gastric acid when consumed in moderation.
3. The programme to put an end to gastric acid for good!
Here is a step by step programme to put a definitive end to gastric acid. If you follow this programme for 15 days, you shouldn’t have any further problems with acidity.
1. First thing in the morning: Mix the juice of a medium sized raw potato with a dessertspoon of extra virgin olive oil. Drink first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
2. Breakfast: 20 minutes after drinking the olive oil/potato juice mix, make a green milkshake with fruit and green leaves: apples, pears, spinach, watercress. Add to a half an avocado and a handful of raw almonds.
3. Mid-morning. Drink a green tea with lemon juice. Add some stevia if you want to sweeten it.
4. Lunch. For your midday meal, always start with a homemade gaspacho or a green salad. Next, eat poultry, white fish, or eggs accompanied with vegetables. For dessert, go for fruit.
5. Afternoon. Like in the mid-morning, drink a green tea with lemon juice. If you need a snack, go for a fruit like apples or pears, coconuts or prunes. You could also try a few almonds.
6. Dinner. Eat a light dinner. Opt for steamed, puréed or sautéed vegetables. Accompany this with vegetable proteins (lentils or peas) or animal proteins (eggs, white fish).
7. Before going to bed. Drink a large glass of water with a little white clay. Mix it well and leave to stand for 10 minutes before drinking it.
And there you go! Usually, at the end of 15 days, you should have no further symptoms of gastric acid!