Are you interested in making your own homemade decorations from recycled objects? Well we have the perfect hand crafted bowl that you can make yourself at home. All you need is a coconut, some simple tools, paint, polish and some sand paper. In the end you’ll have a unique decoration for your home while at the same time you can create some wonderful coconut concoctions. Why not try these coconut energy balls…
We can all be tempted to buy a coconut when we see one in the supermarket. Coconuts evoke images of sandy, tropical beaches and delicious, mouth watering cocktails. However no mater how much we are tempted we often stay clear… The main reason is we don’t know how to cut it and access the delicious coconut water or flesh inside. Well have no fear as we will explain this process in the the steps below. It is actually easier than you might think!
What you need:
- Acrylic paint (Colours of your choice)
- Outliner paint (Can be found in most craft stores)
- Wood polish (Again this can be found in most craft stores)
- Paint brush
- Sticky tape
- Sand paper
1) Take your coconut and bore a few holes at the bottom so you can drain out the coconut water. (You can use a screw driver and hammer to do this.)
2. Now scrape the outside surface clean using a knife. You are aiming to get rid of the hairy texture so you can get a semi-smooth surface. Be careful not to cut yourself with the knife!
3. Once you have removed the majority of the exterior, you can now split the coconut in half using the sticky tape as a guide.
Note: Coconuts have fragile points around the central diameter. To crack the coconut in half you need to tap the fragile points with a hammer or cleaver. After a few taps the coconut should split in two. You can follow the video for helpful advice.
4. Now your coconut is split in two, removing the coconut flesh is the next step. This couldn’t be simpler. Using a knife cut the flesh into strips. Now you can peel the strips off the shell.
5. Now take your sand paper and use it smooth the surfaces of your coconut bowl. By doing this you can give your bowl a nice smooth finish.
Credit: YouTube screenshot / Little Crafties – DIY Coconut Bowl
6. Using your outliner paint you can create any design you’d like. After leaving to dry you can then fill in the gaps using your acrylic paint with the colours of your choice.
7. Lastly, using your wood polish, paint the inner surface of your coconut bowl so that give it a great finish.
If you’d like to see how to make your own beautiful coconut bowl yourself check out Little Crafties video below: