Fighting insomnia is not always easy, especially when you are trying to avoid medication and looking for natural alternatives (especially when you only suffer occasionally). And Nature can indeed offer us solutions for calming the anxiety that overcomes you the minute you slip under the covers (essential oils, infusions/teas, etc.). But there is another factor to consider: your diet can have a significant effect on your sleep. In fact, a body that consumes foodstuffs that are difficult to digest will find it difficult to rest well. In the same way, certain foods can stimulate digestion in order to facilitate good quality sleep.
This smoothie aims to do just that, as it contains several ingredients that support digestion and sleep:
- Apple: improves digestion, promotes blood circulation, relaxes the body, stimulates the liver, and reduces blood sugar levels thanks to its polyphenols.
- Cucumber: anti-inflammatory, detoxes the body and promotes good quality rest thanks to its magnesium.
- Lettuce: calms the nerves, induces sleep, helps digestion and regulates heartbeat. You can even consume it as an infusion, like the Greeks did, if you like!
- Honey: looks after the liver and helps eliminate toxins. As the liver does a great deal of work at night, reducing the work it has to do, through consuming foods that stimulate it, promotes restful sleep.
- 1 green apple
- 3 lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber
- 200 ml water
- 25 g organic raw honey
- 5 g cinnamon
1) Wash the foods that need washing (the cucumber, the apple and the lettuce). Cut the apple into quarters and remove the seeds. We advise that you keep the skin on.
2) Peel the cucumber and cut it into pieces, to make blending it easier.
3) Put all the ingredients into a blender or a smoothie maker (except the cinnamon) and mix until you get a smooth liquid.
4) Serve the smoothie in a glass and sprinkle it with cinnamon. Drink it 2 hours before going to bed, so that it is fully digested and its effects are most pronounced.