If only overdoing it on the booze was restricted to Christmas and New Year’s, life would be much easier! However, it can tend to happen us that we overdo it a little more than we would like -or at least more than our livers would! And special occasions are particular culprits in terms of going overboard on the alcohol. Here are a few practical tips to get you back in ship shape the morning after the night before.
1) Eat and drink what your body needs
Diet plays an important role in how our bodies recover after having drank too much. Here are the foodstuffs you should turn to after a night on the tiles:
- Drink plenty of water, coconut water, peppermint infusions or green tea. Salted soups or broths are also good choices for rehydrating the body without disrupting digestion (miso soup, pho soup, etc.).
- Dark green vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage and especially spinach.
- Foods with high levels of resveratrol, such as blueberries, acai berries, pomegranates, blackberries, tea, red berries, grapes, and foods rich in vitamins B and E.
- Eggs and chicken (among other proteins), but also tomatoes and cooked oat flakes.
- Tuna (which provides the body with a useful enzyme in the case of a hangover).
- Coca cola or a glass of very sugary water, as well as sugary fruits, in order to regulate low blood sugar levels, which cause fatigue, irritability and dizziness.
Eating a fatty meal before consuming alcohol can slow down the body’s absorption of alcohol. However, after having consumed alcohol, a McDonald’s will only make matters worse. Also avoid acidic fruit juices (orange juice, grapefruit juice, etc.).
Take two dessertspoons of honey or be inspired by the Polish, who mix pickle juice with honey to get rid of their hangovers.
Before going out drinking, or at the end of the night, you can also boil 3 lemons (chopped into pieces with the skin on) in a half litre of water, to which you add two dessertspoons of honey.
3) Barbary fig extract
This helps combat nausea, loss of appetite and reduces a dry, pasty feeling in the mouth.
Mash a banana and add a dessertspoon of honey and a glass of milk. Mix it all together, blend it and drink it.
Carefully wash 4 or 5 potatoes. Cook them in steam or water and eat them with the skin on.