Asthma is a pulmonary disease which leads people to have difficulties with breathing. An asthma attack occurs because of an obstruction that affects the flow of air in the lungs. It can have many causes, such as pollution, allergies, a respiratory infection or even sulphites in food or medications. It is recognisable by several symptoms: wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath or tightness in the chest.
There are several natural remedies that you can try out to relieve asthma. Note that these do not replace appropriate medical treatment and the advice of a health professional.
- Inhale its sweet odour. This provides relief for some people.
- Three times a day, put a teaspoon of honey into some hot water and drink it slowly.
- Mix a teaspoon of honey with a half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and take it before going to bed for a better quality sleep.
Garlic helps decongest the lungs, and can rapidly relieve the symptoms of asthma.
- Add 10 to 15 cloves of garlic to 120 mls of almond milk and take it once a day.
- Leave 3 to 4 cloves of garlic to infuse in hot water for 5 minutes and drink it once it is lukewarm.
Ginger reduces contractions and inflammation in the respiratory passages, with muscle relaxant effects similar to certain asthma treatments.
- Make a mixture of equal parts ginger juice, pomegranate juice and honey. Take one dessertspoon 2 to 3 times a day.
- Make a cough syrup that promotes breathing, with ginger juice mixed with a spoon of lemon and spoon of honey.
- Make a ginger tea, leaving the leaves and an inch of crushed ginger root to infuse in a glass of water.
- Don’t forget to add ginger when you are preparing your meals.
The sulfur contained in onions can reduce inflammation. We advise that you consume them raw to promote clearing of the airways.
5) Mustard oil
A massage using mustard oil could provide rapid relief, and promote a return to normal breathing, in the case of an asthma attack.
- You can heat a little mustard oil with a little camphor oil, mixing the two and allowing it to cool until it is lukewarm. Apply it by massaging it into the chest and the upper back.